Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thanksgiving/Fall Decor

DIY Day @ ASPTL

Living in a small and cluttered house, I usually feel overwhelmed about holiday decorating and skip it. Unless last year's decorations are still sitting in a tub in the corner, and then it's easy to put them out again. Just kidding (kind of). When my oldest son was about four, he started asking me to decorate for holidays. I've made an effort to decorate for the holidays on our living room's massive built-in fireplace mantle. Here's a super-old picture from before pets and kids. I think that's the last time my house was clean!

I've decided that the least I can do is switch out what's in my frames for the holidays. For Halloween, I printed vintage postcards that looked great, but now that it's Thanksgiving and I haven't found time to sneak a nice color print or two at work. The other night I found myself with some free time and decided to dust off the sewing maching and embroider fall designs for the frames. I am quite pleased with the results, and ashamed that it was so easy.




This is actually a piece of scrapbook paper with a fake leaf glued to it. My son picked it up somewhere and carried it home for me.



Something's a little off in this vignette. I'll worry about it next year.


The smiling pumpkin is actually
stitched right onto scrapbook paper!

2 comments:

  1. What great ideas! I just might have to copy you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever girl! Love your ideas. When my children were young and the house was always a 'work in progress' I would decorate one area, the top of our TV cabinet. At least that was one way of bringing in come holiday decorations and manageable in my crazy life. You hang in there, it does get easier.

    ReplyDelete